VMware Cloud Community
RogerSillars
Contributor
Contributor

IBM DS3400 vs NetApp FAS250

Hi everyone,

We're looking at a brand new VMware VI3 setup with 3x hosts and a SAN. I'd appreciate anyones view on what sort of SAN to go for. The options we have are:

IBM DS3400 NZD $60,000 (approx)

(12x 300GB 15k SAS disks, dual controller, 2x Cisco 24 port switches, FC HBAs for all servers)

NetApp FAS250 NZD $70,000 (approx)

(7x 300GB 10k FC disks)

I look at this and think the IBM solution is cheaper, has more disks, has faster disks (15k rpm), the same company to support it (no finder pointing on faults) and we can add shelves more easily up to 48 disks. The NetApp appears to require a new controller(s).

Am I missing something? Why would we choose to go for the NetApp or iSCSI if a resonable FC based system was more afforable? What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

We are having the same thoughts about a SAN for our small branch offices. All our hardware today is IBM but we thought about Netapp because of the possibility of using Iscsi and or FC and all there other features are pretty cool.

So do you plan to extend this setup in the future? I think maybe Netapp has the best expansion possibilities in this entry level san.

/Lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I see here only one big difference - the FAS250 has only one controller and can't be upgraded (you need FAS270C here).

There is no magic the more spindles the more iosps you can reach - by fc solution you can get Qlogic fc switches (they will be more inexpensive than Ciscso or Brocade, include e.g. the Web management).

I would get the IBM DS serie.

RogerSillars
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking the IBM option is best for us as it is easier and a more common solution in New Zealand.

I just spoke to someone who has setup one of these recently and he said it was surprisingly easy to setup.

Expandability should be fine as the DS3400 can go up to 48 disks and we are barely going to be getting half that.

Thanks for your advice.

Roger

0 Kudos