VMware Cloud Community
Jquintero06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to calculate the current power of a cluster?

Hi.

I am trying to calculate what would be the actual power of a cluster in order to know the capacity it would have to host vms with a 6:1 ratio, but I can't find the equation.

Could you please help me in indicating how to get this equation?

Taking for example the following information

Cluster# CPUCores per CPU# CoresNumCpuCoresCpuTotalGhzCpuUsageGhzCpuFreeGhzRatio vCPU# Memory TotalMemoryUsageMemory Free
Testing28163283.235.048.23.79:1         146.00524.2228.9295.3
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ObjectifDubai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a few years ago I made a script that pulls up some of the information you want. If it can help you, I will send you the code and the different functions in private.

This script makes 4 arrays.

The 1st arrays gives the number of vmhost CPUs, the number of CPUs on the vms and gives 3 column with a CPU over-allocation ratio. I put 3 columns because some believe that a CPU with hypertreading is equivalent to 2 CPUs, others closer to reality believe that a CPU in hypertreading is equivalent to 1.5 CPUs and INTEL considered there is several years that a CPU with hypertreading enabled was the equivalent of 1.3 CPUs.

array 1.png

The 2nd arrays does the same analysis but by ESXI

array 2.png

The 3rd arrays provided by cluster the total memory of ESXI, the memory used by the vm and the memory still available

array 3.png

The 4th arrays does the same analysis but by ESXI

array 4.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ObjectifDubai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a few years ago I made a script that pulls up some of the information you want. If it can help you, I will send you the code and the different functions in private.

This script makes 4 arrays.

The 1st arrays gives the number of vmhost CPUs, the number of CPUs on the vms and gives 3 column with a CPU over-allocation ratio. I put 3 columns because some believe that a CPU with hypertreading is equivalent to 2 CPUs, others closer to reality believe that a CPU in hypertreading is equivalent to 1.5 CPUs and INTEL considered there is several years that a CPU with hypertreading enabled was the equivalent of 1.3 CPUs.

array 1.png

The 2nd arrays does the same analysis but by ESXI

array 2.png

The 3rd arrays provided by cluster the total memory of ESXI, the memory used by the vm and the memory still available

array 3.png

The 4th arrays does the same analysis but by ESXI

array 4.png

0 Kudos
Jquintero06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

If it is not too much trouble, could you send it to me to the following address:

ja.quintero@protonmail.com.

I will appreciate it very much.

0 Kudos
ObjectifDubai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is done

0 Kudos
Jquintero06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, that's what I needed!

0 Kudos