VMware Cloud Community
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to add 2nd network to MS 2k3 Guest OS

I have migrated MS 2k3 servers to ESX. When they were a physical server we had configured the NICs as Teamed NICs. After the conversion, the Team NIC was disconnected...I configued the IP address (on one of the two NICs) and the server is working fine.

...so here are my questions...

Even though I can configure/add multiple NICs to the guest, what is the purpose?

How can I take advantage of using the ESX's physical multiple NICs on the Guest OS?

Can I improve the Guest OS network IO?

BTW, I have 6 physical NICs on the Host...all are 1G NICs. Only the MGT Network is configured with 2 NICs and a static IP Address.

Thanks!

-Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I couldn't find something about teaming in the guest. They only talk about teaming on the vSwitch level (Switch as a whole or by port groups).

What should be the benefit of teaming within a guest? There are no bandwith restrictions regarding the LAN speed. This only applies to the vSwitch when it has physical NIC's. And a vNIC doesn't brake so fault tolerance is also no point.

That teaming in the guest doesn't make sense might be also the reason why the VMware Tools drivers for the vNIC's seems not to support teaming. At least I didn't saw a installation where this is running successful.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Take a look at this pdf, I think it will give you some answers.

-Pål-André
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

penghaug:

Thanks for that link...it does answer and clarify the physical/virtual networking. I have VMs with muliple NICs, but how do I team the NICs in the guest OS (Windows 2003)? In physical servers, I use the management software for the NICs...is there an equivalent for teaming the NICs?

NOTE: I have the VMWare Tools loaded on the guests.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't make sense to team the vNIC's in the guest as they communicate with the virtual switch at maximum physical speed (processor) regardless of the network speed. Teaming and failover should be implemented on the vSwitch, as the traffic hits the physical network here and vNIC's don't get broken.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NIC Teaming on page 8 I think says something about this, and you will also see the purpose multiple NICs to the guest somwhere in the pdf I believe 😃

-Pål-André
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I couldn't find something about teaming in the guest. They only talk about teaming on the vSwitch level (Switch as a whole or by port groups).

What should be the benefit of teaming within a guest? There are no bandwith restrictions regarding the LAN speed. This only applies to the vSwitch when it has physical NIC's. And a vNIC doesn't brake so fault tolerance is also no point.

That teaming in the guest doesn't make sense might be also the reason why the VMware Tools drivers for the vNIC's seems not to support teaming. At least I didn't saw a installation where this is running successful.

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're right, that's the correct answer AWo.

Another question was -> Even though I can configure/add multiple NICs to the guest, what is the purpose?

Answer: To talk with more than one LAN Segment.

-Pål-André
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Moved to more appropriate forum.

In short, when you're in an ESX environment, the VM is no longer responsible for network redundancy...that job falls to the vSwitch. Therefore, the only reason to put more than one vNIC in a VM is to allow the guest to have access to multiple networks.

Each of your vSwitches should have at least two pNICs affiliated - that way you have the fault tolerance features that you're accustomed to implementing within your phyiscal servers (redundant paths). With a single pNIC per vSwitch, you do not have any redundancy.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Take a look at my Network Topology Blogs to better understand how redundancy works with VSwitches, Portgroups, and pNICS. The VMs themselves do not necessarily need redundancy within them as Ken points out.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll

Top Virtualization Security Links: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Top_Virtualization_Security_Links

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the posts.

I had suspected that they vNICS would run at "full speed"...but I didn't read anything to support it. I was stuck in the "physical-world-mentality"!!!

Thanks for clearing this up for me. All of these were great answers!

0 Kudos