VMware Cloud Community
fasttrack
Contributor
Contributor

How many VMs can run on a single host

Hello,

I am working in a company, the goal is to run on a server lots of VMs as test and developing scenories:

I would like to know how many VMs is possible to run?

There is a limit ?

Depends on Product?

Or it is limited only in function of HOST Server (eg.: CPU, RAM, HDs size)?

The product is nowadays VMWare server (the free edition)

But we would like to move to: infrastructure 3.

Thank

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kharbin
Commander
Commander

It supports up to 128 running VMs. With up to 8 VMs per core, you would need 16 cores. RAM and HD space would be dependant upon the needs and function of the VM.

Ken Harbin

www.esXpress.com

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

It really depends on how well you want your VM's to run, you will most likely run into disk, network and memory constraints at 8 VM's per core. The general rule is 4 VM's per core, you can do more or less depending on what applications your VM's will be running.

0 Kudos
fasttrack
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thank for fast reply,

so in the case of a 2 CPU XEON Quad-Core it is possible to run in theory 64 VM, but the limit 8 VMs per core is fisical? I mean is it possible to run 10 - 12 VMs per Core?

Besides, based on ypur experience: the host machine is 1.60 GHz (XEON Quad Core), the CPU speed should be increased? or it is enough?

Thank

0 Kudos
sizarraga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can see this doc: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_config_max.pdf

8 VMs per core is a Physical limit.

The CPU speed will depend on how many VMs you run and what will they be running (OS, Apps, DB, etc)

Regards

SLT

0 Kudos
Gazzaski
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I found reading chapter 3 of the VM bible is most useful when sizing your host. It not only covers recommendations but also the best return on your investment.

Have a read through it worth it.

http://www.vi3book.com/esxatdg_ch3.pdf

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

The 8 vCPU / pCore is a soft (support) limit and not a hard limit. You can run as many VMs as you want (up to a max of 128 per host - that's a hard limit), but your performance will, obviously, degrade as you add more VMs due to the fact that there are only so many CPU cycles available to share among the various workloads....

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

DO the math.

AN Intel XEON Dual Core CPU has e.g 2 x 3000 MHZ.

The Second Core is only 50-75 percent equal to the first core.

VMware says 8 VM's per Core than on the first core each vm has 375 MHZ (3000 MHz ).

The OS's Windows 2003 need's for low end applications 500 MHZ.

So 3000 MHZ / 500 MHZ = 6 VM's per first Core. With this in mind you can garanty each vm 500 MHZ.

One step further the service console of esx needs although resources,

so take 10 -20 % from 3000 MHZ than 2400 MHZ is left for the vm's.

So now you have 5 vm's per first core, if you have to garanty to each vm

500 MHZ.

Next step further if one gigabit card is fully used than you need 1GHZ(1000 MHZ).

So for a 2 socket quad core system e.g HP380 G5 following could be said:

First CPU 4 x 2930 MHZ

First Core 1 x 2930 MHZ

Second,third, fours Core 0.5 x 2930 MHZ = 1465 MHZ

All Cores for CPU1 = 2930 MHZ + 3 * 1465 MHZ= 7325 MHZ

Second CPU 4 x 2930 MHZ

same as first cpu = 7325 MHZ

So for CPU 1 and CPU 2 we have 14650 MHZ.

Sustract 10 percent for SC and 1000 GHZ for Network than

14650 MHZ - 0.1 x 14650 MHZ - 1000 MHZ = 12185 MHZ are for the vm's.

If you have to garanty 500 MHZ to each VM, than you can have 24 VM'S (12185 MHZ / 500 MHZ = 24,37)

for a two socket quad core system.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Those numbers aren't hard however. I'm running around 60 vm's per host, dual proc, quad core, and have plenty of room to go performance wise. I tested out to 77 before any degradation set in.

The answer, truly, is "it depends". I've seen a 2003 sit running at 160mhz, using mostly memory, and I've seen one pegged to it's core limit, using no memory at all. Obviously, you're going to get a lot less of the latter on a host.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Sorry for bringing this old thread up, just doing some searches on what people are doing for VM per socket / VM per core.

What do your ready percentages look like william? I'm really curious about that, as you're running 7 per core. I guess if they all are that light-weight its not a big deal, but I'd still be curious what the %RDY is.

0 Kudos