VMware Cloud Community
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do I create a RDM in ESX 3.0.1?

I'm looking for step-by-step guide - it is late on friday after all...

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TCronin
Expert
Expert

Look at this doc starting on page 161

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks but this supposes the RDM mapping has already been created - I'm having trouble sorting the first bit out.

I've presented a RAW LUN to ESX and have tried the documented command - vmkfstools -r <path to RAW LUN> <path to mapping vmdk> but it tells me the raw device doesn't exist or isn't a disk.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah got it...was getting the vmhba path wrong....will teach me to not do it properly....thanks

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

No, it creates the RDM file during this process. You pick the lun, and then you next pick the datastore, if you choose to keep it with the vm it will increment the name.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem with the documentation you pointed me to is that the Mapped SAN LUN option is greyed out.....

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Or at least it was! Now it's visible and I'm not sure why, none of the commands I've run succeeded - does the option just become automatically available when a RAW LUN is presented to ESX?

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

Do you use the Virtual Center client at all? From the client you can highlight the ESX host, the choose the Configuration Tab. From there go to Storage and choose "Rescan" in the upper right hand corner. Once the system scans the device your new RDM with LUN ID etc will be listed in the preview pane below it...

0 Kudos