VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Host Shutdown

When you initiate 'shutdown' on a ESX host (3.5) shouldn't it FIRST initiate scripts on the guest to shutdown? I tried it, and it just basically shutdown the host without first shut down any of the guests..

Is this the correct behaviour? I thought it should attempt graceful exit . . . .

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I be corrected but I think you will need first the VMWare tools running on your guest machines and then have the settings at 'Configuration Tab" and then under "Software", go to "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown. Within there, under "Default Shutdown Delay" next to Shutdown Action: Select "Guest Shutdown". The default is "Power Off".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

is it not dependant on the "host - configuration - Virtual Machine startup / shutdown" settings? I'm sure this is something i have set in the past although not since HA/DRS :smileygrin:

aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I be corrected but I think you will need first the VMWare tools running on your guest machines and then have the settings at 'Configuration Tab" and then under "Software", go to "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown. Within there, under "Default Shutdown Delay" next to Shutdown Action: Select "Guest Shutdown". The default is "Power Off".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos