VMware Cloud Community
cchcc
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS Disk Configuration?

Looking for some disk configuration recommendations and my tech support order hasn't completed processing just yet:

Hardware:

I have three dual proc, 4GB RAM, 3 146GB 15K drives, RAID5, dual NIC servers ready for building from scratch. I'm planning on running core services such as Exchange, File&Print, and SQL Server on the host OS' (Windows Server 2003) and AD/IIS/VPN services in VMware Server -up to three low-load guests on each host OS.

Q1- what is the recommended disk configuration for each host OS to efficiently run VMware? I typically partition 10GB C-drive and the rest D-drive.

Q2- Will the VMwares run consecutively on the physical D-drive with/without virtual drive assignments?

I'm anxious to get started! Thx!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

How many users will be using the apps servers?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cchcc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for prompt response -125 users.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual machines will each have one (or more) virtual disk files (.VMDK) which will be actual files on the host OS. You can map the VM to a physical drive / partition but that isn't going to gain you anything. Given that you'll just have 1 RAID array setting up multiple partitions won't have an affect on performance so the C / D drive config you list will be fine.

A few other things to note:

1) ideally you would run SQL, Exchange within a VM and let the host OS just run VMware server to prevent resource conflicts. If you were to do that, then you could consider running VMware ESX Starter edition.

2) if you choose to run SQL, Exchange on the host OS make sure to limit the memory resources to SQL and Exchange otherwise you'll end up with too little memory for your VMs.

3) If you plan to virtualize your DC you'll want to take a look through this PDF as time synchronization will be critical: http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/tac9710.pdf

0 Kudos
SyverDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a note of Caution, Vmware server does not have isolation in the same way as esx server so when you place multiple systems on a single vmware server, they can and will effect you. You will also not be able to prioritize the guest operating systems.

ESX starter might be a better option for you in the long run as it sounds like you will be running some important applications for production use.

Regards,

Jon

cchcc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Q- since AD domain controllers run core services like DNS/DHCP, etc., is it logical to assume that the DCs (or at least one) should be running as a host OS, or independently to authenticate the other host OS'?

In my experience, if at least one DC is not powered up first, member servers (like Exchange) gripe about it...thoughts?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If possible I would run the DC that has the PDC role on an independent box, or one of your VMwale server hosts as a second choice . That way as Syverdude mentions if there is resource contention you wouldn't have to worry about the DCs loosing time sync or as you mention the DC not being "available" to provide services to Exchange or the other servers.

If you don't have a DC outside of a VM and your servers have to be rebooted, Exchange won't like not finding an available DC.