VMware Cloud Community
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help with Blade Networking

Hello All,

I currently have a M1000e Dell Blade Enclosure with some M710 blades with 6nics. The switches at the back of the blade are 4xM6220 stacked switches. After setting up everything I wanted to test failover so I disabled the Internal NIC ports that map to the NICS on the blades, however when I did this VMware still saw the NICS as online even tho I would loose connection to my service console if I disabled that particular port/NIC. I changed the link status to beacon probing however this had little effect. Anyone know why Vmware would see the nic as online even though the port is disabled on the internal switch to which the NIC is mapped/Connected to ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If your blade server has 6 pNICs, you can use combinations written by Edward for details here and if you want to maximize your networking knowledge suggest you read Ken's post here that helps tremendously on networking designs.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can use this best practices for Dell Blades for details

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If your blade server has 6 pNICs, you can use combinations written by Edward for details here and if you want to maximize your networking knowledge suggest you read Ken's post here that helps tremendously on networking designs.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the respones, however I have read over those 3 docs multiple times and have followed all best practices. The problem seems to be that when the port is disabled on the Internal switch (M6220's have 16 internal ports that map to nics on the blades and 4 external for connecting to the switching stack) the nic does not show as disconnected in Vmware even tho it does. Also the Service Console wouldn't fail over to the 2nd nic in the vswitch setup

vSwitch0 nic

vmnic0

vmnic1

Origniating Port ID (Default Settings as suggested via Blue Gears 6 nic setup)

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After reseting the M6220 settings back to factory settings and setting up the port groups via CLI instead of the GUI it resolved its self. Vmware now responds correctly to disabling the nic. thanks for the posts!

0 Kudos