VMware Cloud Community
t3sla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hardware advice

Hi!

We are currently considering to run VMware ESX servers for research and development on HP DL 380G5 hardware with Intel Xeons 5430s. I have been researching the hardware/software compatibility and I am running into conflicting information. On forums here I have seen documentation that the 54xx series may not be compatible with ESX server. A link that has been forwarded to me from a partner of HP claims that the HP DL 380G5 54xx series is compatible.

Has anyone got experience of the above mentioned systems with VMware? Any feedback good or bad will be appreciated very much. Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was referring to your research on this forum. I presumed they were old posts prior to quad-cores being supported by 3.x.

PS - Good luck with the eval. I think you'll find that VI3 is pretty cool. Also, the VMTN community has been a really great resource for bouncing ideas/concepts as well as troubleshooting for me. I use it nearly every day.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How old are the posts in your research? Also, it's presumed that you're going with 3.5. Is that the case? If so, the systems compatibility guide lists the DL380G5 with Xeon 5400 as supported. See: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf, pages 12 and 13.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
t3sla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes we are looking at ESX3.5. I am not sure what you mean with how old are our posts.

Thank you very much for the link.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was referring to your research on this forum. I presumed they were old posts prior to quad-cores being supported by 3.x.

PS - Good luck with the eval. I think you'll find that VI3 is pretty cool. Also, the VMTN community has been a really great resource for bouncing ideas/concepts as well as troubleshooting for me. I use it nearly every day.

0 Kudos
t3sla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. Yes VMware community seems very helpful. I am sure I will be a regular here. Thanks again.

Best Wishes

0 Kudos