VMware Cloud Community
QuazzieM
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Query for first time vMWare user

Hey,

Im about to consolidate some servers into virtualisation, but I have a

query on which server setup I should go for..

Basic specs are:-

Dual Xeon E7540 (2.0GHz 6core 18mb Cache)

64GB DDR3

Raid1 146GB

15k SAS drives for ESXi

4x 10Gbe NICS

or

Dual X5570 (2.9GHz, 4core 8mb cache)

64GB DDR3

Raid1 146GB 15k

SAS drives for ESXi

4x 10Gbe NICS

The VM's themselves will be running off our EqualLogic 6010VX which

is running 15k SAS drives in Raid10

Not sure which would be the best makeup of the two core servers, so

any help would be appreciated

Just to add, to begin with I will be consolidating our IIS server, a few very minor app servers and a secondary DC.

I will then look to move our Exchange-Svr (only small about 400 mailboxes) and possibly introduce some VDI's

Cheers

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - To make your experience easy make sure hwatever hardware you use iis on the the HCL - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It looks like your only difference is CPU in your hardware config. Almost always you will run out of memory before CPU. I wouldn't worry so much about the CPU as long as it's on the HCL. Or if you have some very CPU entensive apps.

David Strebel

www.cloudabstraction.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos