VMware Cloud Community
OtimJoris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HT and virtual CPU setup

We have the following server setup (and i know its a rather old beast)

ESXi 4.0 on a Dell Poweredge 1850

CPU Cores: 2x 3GHz Xeon

Memory: 4GB

Hyperthreading: Active

Processor sockets: 2

Cores per socket: 1

Logical Processors: 4

We want to run 2 machines on it. Probably 2 times Windows server 2008, but it could also be a 2003 setup. My question is, should i enable hyperthreading and how should i setup the virtual cpu's?

At the moment we are not sure how to set it up. Should i enable 2 cpu's on both machines, 4 cpu's or only one? Or should i disable the HT at all? We are unsure what to do with it. I do know that the server applications are not HT aware.

I am asking this to take the most out of the limited resources we have available. Buying a different server would be the better option, but that's not going to happen ;(

Greetings,

Joris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Enable hyperthreading - it will give the vmkernel more logical CPUs to schedule virtual CPUs to and as the others have said start with a single vCPU and only add additional if your need to and if the applications are multithreaded-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IMHO:

- Enable HT

- Assign 1 vCPU max.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Unless your application is multi-threaded there is no point in adding mutiple cpu's to your virtual machines. In doing so you are just adding virtualization overhead in your environment.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Enable hyperthreading - it will give the vmkernel more logical CPUs to schedule virtual CPUs to and as the others have said start with a single vCPU and only add additional if your need to and if the applications are multithreaded-

0 Kudos