VMware Cloud Community
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

HP and Embedded ESXi (was EOL ESXi on USB)

HP informed me today that they were no longer offering ESXi on USB keys. I haven't got any more details on this, but it seems like it'll need to be installed on local disk (they offer solid state) instead. Apparently ESXi on USB drives was declared end of life (EOL) on 1st May.

NB. This information has now been clarified, see later posts.

Message was edited by: WillGreen on 2009-05-12 at 08:12 GMT

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello. How were you informed? Do you have a link?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well this puts a little wrinkle in our next hardware refresh project.

I'm checking with our reseller right now. What I found on HP's site is that the ESXi on USB key they sold was EOL'ed. You will still be able to download ESXi and install on HP certified USB key, local harddrive or the G6 SD flash memory.

0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP has not done a particularly good job of documenting how they are handling ESXi, that's for sure.

Anyway, you can download ESXi from the HP software depot under "Virtualization"

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Having had a USB drive fail and waiting nearly two weeks for an HP replacement (on a NBD support contract), I do not see this as a bad thing.

0 Kudos
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a bit more information from HP.

They won't be pre-installing ESXi on servers any more. They will supply the software, but you will need to install it yourself on HD, USB or SD card etc.

0 Kudos
darren_wardle50
Contributor
Contributor

Considering all the problems encountered when installing new firmware onto the ESXi usb drive I can see why, I myself have encountered issues nearly everytime I upgraded the firmware, as did a lot of other users in the thread I started on here, we have not purchased any since and have changed to local hard drive installs which I have not had any issues with when upgrading.

0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting. The only problems we've had with the USB keys has been one that died shortly after we got it. After that, I found some software that could clone the USB sticks and just put a copied stick into the servers. We've applied quite a few updates and so far haven't had any problems.

0 Kudos