VMware Cloud Community
SmokingMan
Contributor
Contributor

HP VMWare support

Hi everyone,

Has anyone purchased VMWare licenses and support via HP? How is the support of VMWare via HP? Are you satisfied?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Even if you buy your VMware licenses and support from HP, the VMware support with come from VMware in the end.

And on that front, VMware support has been excellent in my experience, the guys in Cork do a sterling job!

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have some early licenses (OEM) that my predecessor bought and those have HP support because it was cheaper. I now have some support with VMware directly and some that goes through HP Support. The Support through VMware is much better and I will be switching from HP Support as soon as I can. The calls to HP do not get responded to as quickly. I wouldn't say the support is bad, but I get a quicker result when the issue when I call VMware.

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I do and am not really happy with it. It's been satisfactory but not great. Alot of times HP is not able to give you an answer and they end up having to go back to VMware for it. I don't like having to deal with a middle-man and will not be renewing it when it expires. We'll be switching to direct VMware support instead. In some cases it seems like HP utilizes these forums and does not have the sort of internal resources that VMware support has. I've had a few HP support people point me to posts in these forums. Ironically they once pointed me to a post from someone who had a similar problem but no resolution and it was my own post.

Just another point to add...

They are not that great about getting back to you, you typically have to wait for a callback from them even on critical issues. I once opened a critical issue with a ESX server down and it took the tech 3 hours to respond and his response was in the form of an email rather then a phone call. It seems like alot of these HP guys work out of independent offices or even homes.

Message was edited by:

esiebert7625

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The problem is the delay in having to go through HP to get to VMware and the non-ability to deal with VMware directly. I've often had to wait for days before HP got a response back from VMware. I don't have experience with direct VMware support but as you mention I'm sure it is very good.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

HP handles the first and second levels of support and only involve VMware if/when required. We have had good experience with them and have only once had to go to VMware; via HP.

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

i think support from HP in general is rubbish, i phoned once about a bl25p and the guy asked me if that was a printer (i chose the server team) !!

i think this is the price we pay for demanding hardware at cheaper and cheaper prices

buy direct from VMware

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ive used both and direct wins.

0 Kudos
EMcCloud
Contributor
Contributor

I have to give a thumbs down to HP support of Vmware. The quality is hit or miss, but more than that, they don't want to dig into problems. They are too quick on the "sorry, not supported" cop out.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I do and am not really happy with it. It's been

satisfactory but not great. Alot of times HP is not

able to give you an answer and they end up having to

go back to VMware for it. I don't like having to deal

with a middle-man and will not be renewing it when it

expires. We'll be switching to direct VMware support

instead. In some cases it seems like HP utilizes

these forums and does not have the sort of internal

resources that VMware support has. I've had a few HP

support people point me to posts in these forums.

Ironically they once pointed me to a post from

someone who had a similar problem but no resolution

and it was my own post.

Just another point to add...

They are not that great about getting back to you,

you typically have to wait for a callback from them

even on critical issues. I once opened a critical

issue with a ESX server down and it took the tech 3

hours to respond and his response was in the form of

an email rather then a phone call. It seems like alot

of these HP guys work out of independent offices or

even homes.

Message was edited by:

esiebert7625

I'd have to second a lot of what was said here. I love the HP hardware, but I don't have a good feeling about their VMware support. Too much of a hassle getting VMware problems resolved with HP. I think we would have been much better off going direct to VMware no matter how many complaints I've heard on that end, I still think it would be better than HP.

Also, VMware licensing through HP was an absolute trama filled nightmare! A little to HP's credit, the VMware licensing model was pretty goofed up to begin with, but adding HP into the mix cranked up the frustration level a few notches.

As much as I'd like to here, I cannot lie.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've used both and have switched to HP support. I've never had any problems reaching them and they've come through every time. However, I've never had a major problem so I can't say that they are any better or worse than VM. The one time they solved a problem VM couldn't the issue was related to my hardware, which is HP. In this instance, HP had a leg up on VM.

adam

0 Kudos