VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP DL380 G6: ESX Host Memory or CPU

We have a primarily HP shop where our ESX Hosts are HP DL380 G5, Quad Core, 32GB RAM. Generally memory is the deciding factor on when to consider adding Hosts. CPU isn't really considered because our VM/Core ratio is relatively small.With VSphere and lease replacements looming we are likely looking at HP DL380 G6 Quad Core, 64-72GB RAM. Those familiar with the G6 may know that memory population can greatly affect speed where 1333 MHz memory can be reduced to 800MHz speed depending on configuration.

To maximum memoy speed at the proposed capcities, we'll have to spend 10X on 8GB DIMMs. If we did that we'd probably look at less of a processor. I am concerned with the larger boxes because our VM/core number will certainly increase so my gut tells me to get the fastest processors I can afford but, I have no evidence to back that decision.

If I had to sacrafice one for the other should I go with faster CPU or Memory speeds. I do realize the VM population would factor in. We have a shared environment so server role runs the gamit but, they are generally Windows 2003/2008. Is there any guidance or evidence to help determine if the benefits of faster memory outweigh CPU speed concerns or vice versa?

On a related note, anyone know why the HP DL300 series G6 Intel offerings only Quad Core while the AMD offers Hex. Are Intel Hex in the works?

0 Kudos
0 Replies