VMware Cloud Community
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor

HP Blades with Virtual Connect and VI 3.5

I got a question thats been puzzling me....

I am planning to buy some HP Blades and instead of using a normal switch or pass through...I was thinking of purchsing the HP Virtual connect Ethernet and Fibre switches. This will enable me to assign WWN to any MAC addresses on the Blade Infrastruture and move them around as I please...

My question is..is this necessary? Meaning...does VMware Infrastructure do some kind of assignment when connecting VMs to the SAN (WWN config or LUN)? Or is it good to use Virtual Connect and VMware?

Thanks Smiley Happy

MC

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

My opinion... not at all.

Basically, this will buy you the ability to swap out an entire blade server w/o needing to rezone the SAN switches or re-present the LUNs to the ESX host. Or, you can shuffle blades around in the chassis. I guess that could be entertaining if you like to mess with your asset mangement people. Smiley Wink

On the off chance that your network people like to use MAC addresses for restrictions, VC ethernet may be an option, but I have yet to see anyone who still does this -- and I don't believe VC handles VMs' virtual MAC addresses...

Of course, if you have an adversarial relationship with your SAN team, or if the SLAs for your servers are tighter than those for SAN changes, this could be a good idea for you. In an ESX environment, LUNs are never directly presented to a VM -- unless you are using the new NPIV features of ESX 3.5 and assigning a virtual WWN to the VM and presenting an RDM to that VM -- and VirtualConnect will not help with that (I am not even sure that VC is compatible with NPIV at this point -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Note that this is my opinion and does not necessarily represent that of my employer... :smileygrin:

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos