VMware Cloud Community
tramahound
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Started Hardware Requirements

We are going to start testing an ESX server solution to replace a few racks full of desktop servers. For some reason our developers got the idea that using anemic desktops as servers was a good idea a while ago. The systems obviously don't need much in the way of power so they're perfect candidates for ESX.

We are an HP company so we would be looking for something of theirs. Since we have a lot of DL360 G4/5s it's safe to say that's the direction we would be going. To get started though, with about 6-8 VMs, would a single DL360 G5 be enough by itself, or would it be advisable to have another DL360 running VirtualCenter all by itself? It just seems like overkill to have another 360 just for VC. At the same time I wouldn't want to go the route our developers and use a desktop for something that should be on its own server. What's the norm?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you're planning just a single ESX host for now, you'd probably be OK without VirtualCenter. You'll still be able to manage the ESX host with the VI client by directing connecting to the host instead of via VirtualCenter.

A single server should be fine for 6 to 8 VMs, but again it would depend on the load the developers put on these hosts. If it's a typical test host, then CPU / memory / desk load should be pretty low. If their compiling code and tend to do it at the same time, then you would want to consider it when sizing the processors. But in general if their low load computers right now then you should be able to get 5- 8 VMs per processor core and then you would want to ensure you have sufficient memory in the DL360.

If you do want to run VirtualCenter, you can run it in a VM. See the attached PDF. Ideally it would run on a seperate ESX host that is not part of the VirtualCenter managed farm, but you can set it up all on a single ESX host.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_in_vm.pdf

Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1 should be cool as the dl360 G5 like all the G5s is disgustingly scaleable,

You can get just one 2cpu ESX license, and run 2x Quad Core XEONs, with 16gb of RAM,

As the previous poster said you probably can get away without VC,

I run mine in a VM anyway, so I dont see the need for a dedicated physical box,

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you can buy the second ESX license I'd recommend setting up a second DL360 up as an ESX host. It gives some redundancy. If you have hardware problems on your main ESX host you can bring up your backups on the host and be up and running while addressing you other host issues.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
tramahound
Contributor
Contributor

What about getting involved in a SAN at this point? Is that something that should be thought of now or is it fairly easy to implement later on if the project expands? Can we move the VMs off of the 360 at some point to a SAN easily?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you can easily relocate to a SAN later on. For a single server deployment I would hold off on the purchase of a SAN unless you have other business initiatives that would warrant the investment.

0 Kudos