VMware Cloud Community
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Geographically Dispersed Hosts Managed by One Virtual Center?

We currently have 4 ESX hosts, configured in a VMware cluster(DRS, HA enabled), running v.3.02 Enterprise being managed by Virtual Center 2.0. We are going to be adding 4 additional ESX hosts at a different datacenter that will be configured in a different VMware cluster. Are there any reasons we should not manage both clusters with the same VC server? Obviously one VC server would be preferred due to the costs savings, but I want to be sure I am not sacrificing any technical advantages by going with a separate physical sever, SQL database running VC.

Thank you in Advance,

Erik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SRuff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not a problem at all, easiest option is to put the host in "maintenance mode" this will vmotion all of the VM's to other hosts in the cluster and not allow them to be moved back (while in maintenance mode). Then you can remove it from the cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SRuff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There's no real advantage to running a dedicated VC for each cluster, VC is just that a centralized management console for your VI environment, datacenters/clusters, that's what it's made for. You only really need to start looking at another VC instance when you get to the high limit of ESX hosts or VM's that VMware suggests (100 ESX hosts and/or 1,500 VM's). I manage 5 datacenters, 8 clusters and 20 ESX hosts with a single instance of VC.

edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. You will save me alot of money. On another note. If I need to pull one host out of a cluster and add it to a second cluster is that a problem, assuming I migrate all the VM's off the host first?

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's not a problem. Definitely move the VMs if you are intending to keep the VMs with the cluster instead of the esx hosts.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
SRuff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not a problem at all, easiest option is to put the host in "maintenance mode" this will vmotion all of the VM's to other hosts in the cluster and not allow them to be moved back (while in maintenance mode). Then you can remove it from the cluster.

0 Kudos