VMware Cloud Community
zgz87
Contributor
Contributor

Flash drives performance

Hi,

Nowadays there is a lot of announcements about this flash disks technology. Here we bought some SSD drives to check it out. Today I have been doing some performance tests and I found that the performance for writing is awfully bad! When moving from 100% read to 99% read (ie 1% write), the results change from 16K IOPS to 3000 IOPS! Is that normal? Does anyone know a link where there is some explanation about this? I am wondering if the vmware driver could be the problem...

I read that flash drives do not perform very well when writing due to the fact that for just writing 1 bit, the whole block has to be flushed and rewrite, but I was not expecting such a decrease!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So how exactly are you doing your tests? Does the diska support Trim?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
zgz87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I am using the FIO tool and IOmeter to do the tests. I create a vmware datastore using the SSD drive. That datastore is added to a VM and then I measure without using any file system in the device.

I did not know about TRIM but I am reading about it and sounds very useful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM). How could I check if ESXi is supporting it and if the flash drive is supporting it?

Thanks

0 Kudos