VMware Cloud Community
Timber_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor

Failover from Primary DS4800 to secondary DS4800

I have two DS4800 running mirrored across all luns connected via two 64GB Truncs HURA!! ok enough bragging.

Everything works well until i try to swap to the mirrored volumes.

We do everything by the book, break the mirror, remove access to the primary disks and give access the the mirrored disks, all 100% here so far, then vsphere can see the disks but not the volumes, the general consensus is that the volumes are presented as snaphots, but this is not the case here when executing a esxcfg-volume -l i get the reply "Error: no filesystem on the device" in stead of a list of the volumes.

Anybody out there have a suggestion, im stumped and google or other resources at my disposal has proven fruitless.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

If you try to add one of the LUN's it is not shown with the VMFS label? Can't you add it as an existing datastore?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Timber_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor

i didnt try that i was testing failover on our production weekend had to rollback after three hours of terror.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Look, always when I had a replicated SAN I could add the VMFS using the procedure to add datastore and checking it as an existing VMFS volume. I think it will work for you too (if this is vSphere...)

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
tadsmith
Contributor
Contributor

In order to see the VMFS volumes on our mirrored DS4800, we had to set LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN from 1 to 0. After changing the setting, be sure to rescan the HBAs in order to see the volumes.

Configuration > Advanced Settings > LVM. Set LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN from 1 to 0.

0 Kudos
Timber_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor

tadsmith, do you refer to the option in ESX 3 as i do not see this option availble in VSpere 4, its typically what we used pre upgrade to vsphere 4

0 Kudos
tadsmith
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I was talking about ESX 3.0.

Maybe take a look at the post below? I don't have access to a test environment at the present time.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/213609

0 Kudos
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you ever figure this out? i'm having the same issue except using xp10k san. thanks.

0 Kudos