VMware Cloud Community
filcap
Contributor
Contributor

Evaluation licenses for a cluster

Hello!

We have a VI3 environment with several datacenter administered by a Virtual Center.

We are going to add a new datacenter with a couple of ESX server (3.5). The licenses are on the way... but before the order is placed by the Purchasing Office, we would like to start working with evaluation licenses.

So I have a couple of questions:

• Is it possible to get evaluation liceses (expiring after 60 days) for HA and DRS? I mean, is it possible tu run a cluster using evaluation licenses? Are there kind of Enterprise evaluation licenses??

• Can I mix evaluation licenses and "production" licenses on the same Virtual Center? I've seen there was some problem, at least some years ago: http://communities.vmware.com/message/193151#193151

Thankyou very much!

Filippo

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Because you are already running a VC environment I think you will have to switch the licensing over to an evaluation license because I do not think you can get just an evaluation license for HA and DRS unless you get it directly from you VMware sales rep - i think those issues of running in a mixed environment are no longe r-

HOw bet setting up a seperate evaluation VC environment to test the new cluster - and once your licenses are available move the host toy our production environemnt -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
filcap
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Weinstein! Thanks for you reply!

Well... yes, the idea of setting up another VC is an option, but I would prefer to use the existing one, if possible...

I'm not sure I catched everything you meant in your first sentence: do you mean that to get evaluation of DRS and HA I need to use a virtual center running istelf with an evaluation license?

Thanks!

F.

0 Kudos