VMware Cloud Community
absolutezero273
Contributor
Contributor

EVC Processor Strategy & Future Planning

I am currently in the planning phases for future infrastructure upgrades and am trying to get a rough idea of what type of costs I'm going to need to budget over the next 3-4 years.

My current setup utilizes VI 3.5 and Intel Xeon 5300 series processors in Dell hardware. (We will be moving to vSphere 4U1 this year)

My problem is this: As I look at Dell hardware and Intel processor models that are presently available, and will be available in the next 12 months or so, I don't see a continuity between the 5300 series processor and the newer technology as this relates to EVC and vMotion.

Has the Clovertown proc been put out to pasture and is there any current Intel proc series that would replace this?

I don't know processor architecture enough to be able to determine what the next compatible proc would be regarding EVC.

It would be a good thing if I could depend on using my old infrastructure as we phase in the new and still be able to maintain our vMotion capabilities.

Anyone else familiar with this issue or expressing the same concerns?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert

Do you want to have a look at this KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
absolutezero273
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, geddam. I've looked at that but am not really sure of it's accuracy as to how it relates to my 5300.

Or maybe I just don't know how to read it.

I was under the impression, after speaking with others at Dell and VMware that I needed to stick with a certain family or series of processor to be able to maintain the EVC and use vMotion.

If I am reading this table at face value (table 3.1) it would appear that I could vMotion to any server that is running a 3000 through 3400 series Xeon Core 2, a 3100 through 3400 series Xeon 45nm Core 2 and a 3500 through 3400 series Xeon Core i7.

Would that be an accurate statement?

If so then I am completely mistaken.

The last part of my question is I don't see any of the newer processors listed in this matrix. It would be nice to see a matrix that includes newer procs such as the 5600, 6500and 7500 series.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Intel CPU 2010

The way to go is with 2 and 4 socket servers with Intel Nehalem EX CPU'S.

Look at the Dell 810. Can use 2 Nehalem EX CPU's

AMD CPU 2010

THe way to go is with 2 and 4 socket server with AMD Magny Cours CPU'S

EVC:

To have no downtime in the first step use EVC.

In second step when have hardware upgrades for the vm (from version 4 to version 7) you need downtime. In this step it is good to have a second esx cluster,

which has the highest evc modes from the latest processor. Plan your vmware esx roadmap (New Version ESX 4.X in 2010)

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe that starting with the intel 5300 series and up all support intels flex-migration.

We have a farm of 5300 / 5400 series hosts in an evc cluster, we just got in our new servers 5600 series and are able to vmotion to/from the 5300/5400 to 5600 both directions without issue. I think you will be safe.

But in my opinion, in 3-4 years you will want to refresh your 5300 series and only need to use vmomtion to move the vms off the old equipment.

0 Kudos