VMware Cloud Community
dcap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi vs ESX

With vSphere now out, is there any advantage of using ESX over ESXi if we are paying the fees for the standard or advanced licenses (i.e is there any functionality or performance differences that I shouldn't choose ESXi)???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Nope . .

ESX full fat has a bigger footprint, so uses a little more resource . .and is a little less secure.

ESXi offers all the functionality of ESX full fat . . some argue that there is a difference because of the removal of the service console, but if you want you can enable SSH on ESXi (VMware technicians regularly use this SSH on our machines . .even though it is 'officially unsupported'

To put your mind at ease, I use exclusively ESXi - I recently sat the Beta for the vSphere fast track and we never used the SC once in a full week! These were 8am to 7pm days and heavily lab focused.

To be honest, I think VMware on ly kept the SC for those people who are unfamiliar with ESXi and adverse to change.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This VMware KB: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006543 still holds true even for vSphere, in terms of performance/functionality for the hypervisor it's still there minus the Service Console.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Nope . .

ESX full fat has a bigger footprint, so uses a little more resource . .and is a little less secure.

ESXi offers all the functionality of ESX full fat . . some argue that there is a difference because of the removal of the service console, but if you want you can enable SSH on ESXi (VMware technicians regularly use this SSH on our machines . .even though it is 'officially unsupported'

To put your mind at ease, I use exclusively ESXi - I recently sat the Beta for the vSphere fast track and we never used the SC once in a full week! These were 8am to 7pm days and heavily lab focused.

To be honest, I think VMware on ly kept the SC for those people who are unfamiliar with ESXi and adverse to change.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware kept the SC because its not possibly to support ESX and ESX to the same ability. The SC enables additional support options (vscsiStats, faster esxcfg-mpath, etc) that ESXi simply cant do.

Those of us that stay far, far away from ESXi aren't solely doing it out of fear of change or lack of knowledge - its about a calculated risk/benefit.

The smaller security footprint of ESXi, while nice, buys me absolutely nothing because my SC networks are completely locked off. The downsides (no supported SSH, no vscsiStats, etc) makes it a bad choice for many organizations.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The comment "smaller Security footprint" is also a moot point. ESXi although solving a few security issues raises a few new ones too.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos