VMware Cloud Community
TIM02210
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5 in AD / Setting up DNS

We are getting ready to implement VMware with ESXi. We are an OU in an AD environment. I understand I need to have both forward and reverse lookup set up in DNS. We do not manage our own DNS servers, they are manages by the people who manage AD. I asked to have both forward and reverse lookup setup in DNS for these ESXi servers. The AD admin says that since they are not part of AD that he cannot setup reverse look up.

I see a couple of articles about adding ESXi servers to AD. If I do this won’t the DNS get registered automatically the same way my Windows servers do? Any input would be appreciated; I’m just trying to get a handle on this.

One of the articles I  found is listed below.

http://www.virtualizetips.com/2010/07/configure-vmware-esxi-4-1-for-active-directory-integration/

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESXi Hosts will not automatically register in DNS.

All they need to do is to create a Host (A) pointer in DNS for each ESXi hosts.

Please award points for helpful/correct answers Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I see a couple of articles about adding ESXi servers to AD. If I do this  won’t the DNS get registered automatically the same way my Windows  servers do? Any input would be appreciated; I’m just trying to get a  handle on this

No, manual entries are still required.  You are not truly adding the host to AD.  You are using AD as an authentication method.  Even if you didn't "add your host to AD", you should still setup proper name resolution, manually.

PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESXi Hosts will not automatically register in DNS.

All they need to do is to create a Host (A) pointer in DNS for each ESXi hosts.

Please award points for helpful/correct answers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos