VMware Cloud Community
JudedeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 Syslog on local storage

I have recently change the syslog location from “Scratch” storage to my “local storage” by entering the path of “/vmfs/volumes/<datastore name>/<folder>/filename”

As stated using this KB article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101662...

After a reboot I check the advanced settings again where I change this path it seems to of committed. However when I browse my local data store I do not see the directories created /var/log nor do I see the file created

I looked at the syslog.conf file and that shows me the path that I entered is commited as well

Can someone confirm that this is correct

should I of created the path myself and  the file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Setting up  a local won't create the folder. But if you set the location (and filename) then create the  folder ESXi will start to write to the location right away - no reboot required. I've also found that the /vmfs/volumes/... format doesn't seem to work - I use [datastore1] /logs/host1.log.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Setting up  a local won't create the folder. But if you set the location (and filename) then create the  folder ESXi will start to write to the location right away - no reboot required. I've also found that the /vmfs/volumes/... format doesn't seem to work - I use [datastore1] /logs/host1.log.

0 Kudos
JudedeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks with your help I got it

After I specify the path I created the directory in the datastore and the file appear

0 Kudos
vmotionhem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have ESXI4.1 server  and want to configure local syslog . i have created one folder in datastore in defined the path local syslog.

can you please confirm that this is correct path .

0 Kudos