VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX server documentation

it there any good ways of documenting how an ESX host and cluster is setup? maybe templates or something.

Stephen

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

This maybe what you are looking for... http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_resource_mgmt.pdf

Good Luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not quite what i was looking for.

i am looking for some type of template or something that i can use so i can document how our ESX Cluster is setup. what i may do is do screen shots or something.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could look at something like Veeam reporter , which will gather this information for you and export to visio etc.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Why you don't document everything by yourself like me? Actually, currently i'm working on a Migration Project for Domain and Exchange on a new Virtulization Infrastcutre Vi3. I'm documenting everything that gonna do during the Setup of ESX Servers, connect them to the SAN, LUN Size, Disk Size , (IP Address(s) of Physical Host, VMs), HBA "WWNN", Role(s), VMs (Role), iLO Address, username and passwords, etc etc..........

I'm working on the documentation as well as the forms which i will be used to fill-up during the implementation. Do you want to have a look at them?

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sure i would love to see your forms Smiley Happy

Stephen

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Well, if you have the money to spend on reporting and document software than Veeam Report as mentioned is a good option because it exports to .vsd, .doc. pdf, .xls as well so meaning you have complete set of information regarding your ESX infrastructures from storage, networking switches, hosts, machines etc..you named it.

If this is a large complex systems than it would help to reduce unnecessary adminstrative involvement. But if you're VMware Architect or Engineer, than you should have all of these documented and recorded as you planned and implemented. All you need is Visio diagram, Excel spreadsheet of all related columns and fill it in, Word document of the project scope and how it is plan and executed and last is export your info to .pdf anytime so meaning the product is very good but cost you money.

Take great pride of your hard work especially documenting and planning is very critical. I've used Veeam Reporter and I like it a lot because its quick and easy.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I will post them, and let you know.

BR,

Habibalby

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos