VMware Cloud Community
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX server design

All, I want to design a blade solution using HP BL480 series. I have about 20 VM's that I want to virtualize. Most are 4 to 8GB in memory(I know I know, but they are real memory hogs) and 1 vCPU. I'm trying to find out how many blades I need to accomodate that. Is there a best practice specific to blade technology in scaling this stuff out? My VM's will probably total around 20vCPU's and 120GB of RAM once it's all said and done. I don't want to overdesign this, but at the same time, I want some decent overheard(20%) on my hosts for breathing room and future expansion.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Depends on how much memory you stuff in the blades. I'd think you could run 20 on two blades easily. That being said you will probably want to n+1 so three blades would be best. That way you can take one host offline for maintenance at any given time.

jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What about if I have redundancy in mind? Would two blades across two enclosures work or is that a waste of money? The BL480's are Quad Core(the ones I'm looking at) with up to 48GB memory. BTW, I was thinking along the same lines; 3 blades with 32GB memory.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Yes you can go across enclosures but if they are in the same rack I don't know if you gain much. If your enclosure is built with redudancy (two OA's etc.) then you are looking at something powerwise more than likely taking out a whole rack.

We are running the 480c's and I love them.