VMware Cloud Community
dp_tn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX and CLARiiON read/write cache settings

So I am in the unique position of having a couple of CX3-80's almost completely dedicated to my ESX farm.

Does anyone know of any best practices or recommendations on setting the read and write cache on the SPs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

as far as I've seen there are no recommendations from EMC, I have tended to set them up along the same lines as i do when attaching a NAS Head to one, that is to give ~400mb to Read and the rest to write. But what i would say is you have soooooooooo much available on the 3-80 i'd set write cache to it's maximum and then see how much Read cache you can asign afterwards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

as far as I've seen there are no recommendations from EMC, I have tended to set them up along the same lines as i do when attaching a NAS Head to one, that is to give ~400mb to Read and the rest to write. But what i would say is you have soooooooooo much available on the 3-80 i'd set write cache to it's maximum and then see how much Read cache you can asign afterwards.

0 Kudos
dp_tn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since there doesn't seem to be an official EMC statement on it, and you can't really tailor it to any specific workload, treating it like a NAS device seems to be the best bet.

The max write cache seems to be 3GB so I have allocated remaining cache to read.

Thanks for the input!

0 Kudos