VMware Cloud Community
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX Guest acting as Terminal Server guest?

Might there be any way to have a guest os on ESX which automatically reverts back to it's snapshot or a backup of some sort once the remote user disconnects? I basically need what amounts to a terminal server but with more functionality.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check out VMware View. That will allow you to create a Windows XP or Windows 7, in the next version, VM. You can further specify that when the user logs off or disconnects, the VM is destroyed and the software rolls out another VM in its place. It can also maintain a number of inactive VM's so users never need to wait for a VM to be created. The linked clones tech also saves a ton of storage space. Very nice software.

Charles Killmer, VCP4

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't suppose there is a free version. I think I've seen alternatives which are on the net, I know that LTSP certainly is. I'm not trying to be cheap but it's good to know when there are other options.

Thanks very much for the input, I wasn't aware that VMware View does this.

0 Kudos
jordan57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Without using something like View or XenDesktop you are limited.

You could make your disks Non-Persistent and upon reboot all changes will be discarded. Not perfect but might be your only Free option.

VMware VCP - Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Blog: http://www.virtualizetips.com Twitter = @bsuhr
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did install XenDesktop on a server but didn't use it as it looks like we would have to get into licensing costs. I just want to play with these things, get some hands on, then if I have good redults, pass those suggestions on to customers.

0 Kudos