VMware Cloud Community
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 ONLINE!

Links not published yet but available. Currently downloading :smileygrin:

> Links removed <

Sorry guys, unless someone from VMware wants to overrule me I removed the links as this is not "Official GA" release.

Don Pomeroy

VMTN Forums User Moderator

Message was edited by: dpomeroy

0 Kudos
61 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, I'm going to download it before the rush. If the build number is the same for the GA, I'll use it. The beta was rock-solid. As long as it doesn't expire like the beta, I don't have an issue with limited use in production. If I've learned anything about Vmware, having to wipe out a host and rebuild it is not a big deal.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The release date says 12/3/07 which is what virtualization.info reported earlier in the week.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
ksn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

As one of the program managers for the release, I can tell you that what is posted is NOT the final bits so please do not download. Please wait for the official announcement with the actual build number before downloading. We will make this announcement as soon as everything is ready to go.

Thanks for your patience,

Kathy

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

GULP

I've already installed VC :(. Surley the download should be removed!? I'm not the only person who can replace ESX302U1 with ESX350 to get at it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

LOL You have made an impression, vmware folks are posting without the 3 box logo...

thanks for the links though Smiley Happy

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why does the "Program Manager" only have 1 post?

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe it's just THAT serious :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Serious enough to post a message but not serious enough to get rid of the download? If it really is THAT serious than Vmware should do something rather than let the user community police itself shouldn't it?

0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have been on calls with PM's and engineers regarding 3.5 and 3i and was told the licenses are the same for the new versions.

0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quote -"The release date says 12/3/07 which is what virtualization.info reported earlier in the week." - esiebert7625

I received a notification email earlier this week stating that the GA for 3.5 was pushed to December 11-17. Just a heads up.

Quote from the email -

"""""

VMware Infrastructure 3 v3.5

VMware Infrastructure 3 v3.5, which includes ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5, is targeted for general availability (GA) release between December 11-17, 2007. Further details will be provided shortly. This delay from our previous communication is the result of a critical quality issue that is necessary to resolve for the release. """

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alessandro was reporting that also...

http://www.virtualization.info/2007/12/vmware-infrastructure-35-esx-server-3i.html

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
jpowell
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

After speaking with Kathy I can confirm that what she has mentioned here is 100% accurate. Please wait for the official announcement before downloading.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Serious enough to post a message but not serious enough to get rid of the download?

There's no link on the VMware website to the download pages mentioned above - so this is not VMware's fault.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have made an impression, vmware folks are posting without the 3 box logo...

VMware employees participating in the communities are not required to have the "3-boxes brand".

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll just have to hope that VC upgrades correctly...if not it's an easy reinstall anyway.

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm glad this isn't the final version.

I've just setup ESX3.5 to have a look, however it appears the bundled VI 2.5 Client is 32bit only as it refuses to install on 64bit vista.

The VI 2.0.2 Client, which happily installs on 64 bit vista can't talk to ESX 3.5 so it looks like I need to install a 32 bit client to have a look at what has changed.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd have to agree with this post...

The VI Client will not connect to a ESX 3.0.2 host. (Or it wouldn't for me)

Looks like there might be a couple issues still not resolved

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
chrwei
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm hoping it's becaue this isn't the "final" version, but the Foundation license still doesn't support iSCSI or SAN even though the ESX 3.5 press release sounds like it should, or maybe I'd need an updated license file? It does see my starter license as Foundation.

"Unlike the previous VMware Infrastructure 3 Starter, VMware Infrastructure 3 Foundation will have no restrictions on shared storage connectivity, memory utilization or number of CPUs of the physical server"

installation and local vmfs storage on SATA does work on a 2801GR/HR controller though so that's a plus

0 Kudos
RickPollock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hopefully the capacity planner will work with the GA release. right now it would cache the computers found and then I was stuck. help said to click refresh, but there isnt a refresh button.

Plugins? Hmm....clunky

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

I've donwloaded and installed ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. Except for a problem connecting one esx 3.0.2 host (the second host went fine) all is running fine now. See: http://virtualgabe.wordpress.com/

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos