VMware Cloud Community
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 Demo/Trail in Disaster Recovery?

I have a ESXi box, with about 5 production guests. I have a few old Dell 2650's (Not on the HCL for ESXi) that I could use as a fail over machines at a remote site. (No SAN's, just via backups).

Can I use the 60 day Trail of ESX to have a place to put my production VMs in case my ESXi fails?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You can but I will bet that will violate the EULA -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

You 'bet' or you 'know'?

I read the EULA, doesn't mention limitations of what you can use the Trail for. Does mention that I would NOT receive any support from VMware though, which is fine.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

If your DR site is all stand-alone machines, why not just use the free ESXi product? The only down-side is that you would not be able to use VirtualCenter to manage them, but you would certainly be license compliant.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

Becasue the servers at my DR site are not on the HCL for ESXi...

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

'bet' - previous eula I have seen for trail software limits its use only for test/proof of concept - so if it is not in eula you might be ok - but remember if you do power up the license that will start the timer on you 60 days - so you really will not be able to test - I agree with ken's seggestion about ESXi -and in regards to the HCL you would have the same problem with running ESXi in trial mode -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys.

FYI. I never mentioned running "ESXi in trial mode" Just ESX. Does ESXi Trials even exist? It's free.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe they do even though you can get ESXi for free now -

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Becasue the servers at my DR site are not on the HCL for ESXi...

I guess it would help if I actually read your original post, wouldn't it!

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos