VMware Cloud Community
dimsys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 2.5.2 to 3.x via VMWare Server with VMWare converter?

Hello,

I have a single ESX 2.5.2 server with direct attach SCSI storage. It is on a DL380 G4.

I would like to add some iSCSI storage, and a 2nd DL380 G4 and get everything on VI3. This would involve getting the current VMs off the existing 2.5.2 server so I can blow it away and reload VI3 clean (my preference).

I have the iSCSI storage, but do not have the 2nd DL380 G4 yet. What I was thinking of doing:

1) Setup a VMWare Server machine (free server version)

2) Use VMWare Converter to convert the VMs from the 2.5.2 box to the free VMWare Server box (there are only three VMs, not many).

3) Once the VMs are successfully running on the VMWare Server box, I can blow away 2.5.2 and reload VI3

4) Connect my iSCSI storage to the new VI3 box

5) Use VMWare Converter again to migrate the VMs from the VMWare Server to the new VI3 with iSCSI environment

6) Buy the 2nd DL380 G4 and add it to the mix so I can support VMotion, DRS, HA, etc.

Does this sound like a workable plan? There are only 3 VMs, but they are important production boxes so they are critical. I kind of liked this plan too since I would not be touching the 2.5.2 box until the VMs were up and running successfully on the VMWare Server box.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, gotchas would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

This may work, you may wish to test it, as VMware Converter has limited support for ESX v2. It can not be the target of a VM, but should be able to be the source. I did my migrations by rolling my upgrades from box to box so my VMs were never 'converted' so to speak. Their virtual hardware was just updated.

If it was me I would install ESX on the 2nd DL380 G4 attach iSCSI and use VC to migrate the VMs. or use esxMigrator.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

This may work, you may wish to test it, as VMware Converter has limited support for ESX v2. It can not be the target of a VM, but should be able to be the source. I did my migrations by rolling my upgrades from box to box so my VMs were never 'converted' so to speak. Their virtual hardware was just updated.

If it was me I would install ESX on the 2nd DL380 G4 attach iSCSI and use VC to migrate the VMs. or use esxMigrator.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Any reason you are introducing Vmware server on the interim box. Why not install VI3 on that box and just have to deal with an ESX 2.5.2 to VI3 migration. Then when your new DL380 box is up move the VI3 machines over.

A migration from 2.5.2 to VI3 is straightforward and can be done without any specific product.

\- take a vmdk backup of the 2.5.2 VM ( for our clients they use esXpress but any method for vmdk backup and restore will work)

\- Pre-build the new VM on the VI3 host matching your 2.5.2 configuration

\- restore the vmdk backup on the VI3 overlaying the disk(s) you created in the VI3 VM. We usually precreated the vmdk to same size as the 2.5 VM but it isn't necessary. Precreating the vmdk on the VI3 side is the key though.

\- Power on and Upgrade VMware Tools

\- for Windows VMs redo the network configuration

Thats basically it.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
dimsys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, great replies and I may try and take one of those routes instead.

My main issue is we are running very short on power at this NOC. We're over subscribed on a couple circuits.

I currently have a little DL140 utility server that I was going to power off and replace with the Windows server running VMWare Server. This would allow me to use it as a Windows utility server, and also be the VMWare Server target for the VM migration without taking up more power.

In addition to the 3 VMs on the 2.5.2 box, I planned to convert an OLD Proliant 6400R Windows server and make it a VM. This would allow me to unplug and get rid of the 6400R and free up some power for the iSCSI storage and redo the current 2.5.2 box as VI3 and convert back.

I like your ideas though, I may need to see if I can work something out so I'm not converting all over the place. Sounds like my method may work though worse case...

Thanks again!

0 Kudos