VMware Cloud Community
seveler1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dual Processor VMs

We have dual processor, dual core hosts. (2.6 amd with 16 gb ram) In the past I was suggested/told not to do a dual proc vm because if it took both cpu's then it could have an effect on the host. this is back before dual core. Does that still exist today?

I am about to move my accounting app to a vm and was going to give it dual cpu's for max performance.

Please help!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, thanks for the input! I will stick with single procs for our servers, unless they are Oracle servers and will benefit from the multi-processor configurations. If it is simple to upgrade to the multi-processor HAL, then I will just do that if needed. Thanks again!

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
JoyYu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, guys this has been a discussion idled for a while.  Is this still a good practice with ESXi V5?  I have read so many post suggest using single cpu against multiple cpu.  what how should I respond to the end user when they see the vm cpu utilization is 100%.  when they see the 100 % cpu utilization, is that a indicator this vm has a performance issue?  and we should give more cpu to this VM?  if not, how can we make this vm faster?

Thanks!

Joy

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.

The same suggestions would also apply to ESXi 5.  It's not neccessarily an issue to use multi-vCPU VMs, but I wouldn't grant vCPUs if the VM is not going to use them.  With your VM it sounds like it would benefit from an additional vCPU.   That said,  I would still briefly investigate the cause of the CPU usage.  If it's a problem process that is chewing up CPU cycles, then adding a vCPU might aleviate the issue but not really solve it.

0 Kudos
JoyYu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Dave

Thanks for the quick response! I just want to confirm it.

Is there a suggestion/guide how much memory we should sign to a VM?

Thanks!

Joy

<www.pbs.org

0 Kudos
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A Vm showing 100% utilization may be a candidate for multi vCPU, but then again not. Unless the apps are multi threaded, more cores won't help.

0 Kudos