VMware Cloud Community
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anyone know of any management software for 3i?

Does anyone know of any management software for 3i? I have found nworks, but am looking for more vendors. I am going to use the Dell servers with the embedded 3i and need a management solution, much like Openmanage. Any help or insight appreciated.

MJR

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is coming. Hardware vendors will include this support in embeded 3i offerings as early as the end of the month. Here is a little coverage of the recent announcement: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/26/3i_embedded_vmware/

I would not do 3i before proper vendor hardware support/monitoring.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so if you know you want Openmanage, why are you using 3i then? The only difference between 3.5 and 3i is there is no console. You can lock down the console to where no one can use it, but still install open manage on 3.5.

It seems to me you are doing extra work for nothing, when VM Ware already provides the features you need in another product. Openmanage is the best way to manage Dell Servers.

0 Kudos
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is that the customer wants to use 3i and wants to be able to manage the product much in the way that Openmanage does.

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well ask some questions. Maybe the customer doesn't know there is a difference. Maybe the customer doesn't understand WHY they want 3i in the first place.

Ask them why they insist on 3i? Are they using it on a Dell 2950? because it's not supported otherwise. And 3.5 will do EVERYTHING they want, including management. You don't have to get other tools that openmanage will do just fine.

VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is coming. Hardware vendors will include this support in embeded 3i offerings as early as the end of the month. Here is a little coverage of the recent announcement: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/26/3i_embedded_vmware/

I would not do 3i before proper vendor hardware support/monitoring.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos