VMware Cloud Community
kmarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Does VCB require that all of each servers VMDK files all be on the same lun?

Hello,

I'm doing some testing with VCB and was wondering if you guys have found that it is nessesary to have all of the VMDK files for a server on the same LUN. I have setup my policies in Netbackup to include servers that are on the same LUN. My understanding is that if to many backups happen on the same LUN I will get snapshot errors. Doing it this way allows me to control the amount of backups that happen on a single LUN. When I took a look at the servers I discovered that a few are split onto different LUNs and thought I would see what other people have found when using VCB with VMDK files split onto different LUNS..

Thanks!

Kevin M

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long as the VCB proxy has access to all of the lun, and the VMDK's are not in Independant mode, I have not had trouble backing VM's up. Even when they span multiple LUN's. I am looking forward to Data Recovery when it gets better. Right now it does not work as well as it needs to.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
kmarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Just one quick question what is this data recovery that you are waiting for?

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Data Recovery is the vSphere enhancement to VCB. It looks great and I am anxious to be able to start using it. Unfortunately, it is not very solid yet. Great tool, just needs more developement time. It integrates into vCenter and makes the task of setting up schedules and restoring VMs easier. It boasts deduplication on the backed up VM's and maintains versions. Very nice.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".