VMware Cloud Community
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Documenting your VM's for co-workers... RUN BOOK Template?

How do you guys document what servers are on your hosts? Basically, I need to come up with some simple documentation so when one of my coworkers are on call they won’t call me to ask who/what/when about a Windows server on one of my ESX hosts. Something like: server function, who to contact if the App has issues, who to contact if they need to reboot it for some reason, and so on. All of that info is in my brain and in my local filing cabinet, but I want to put it in a spreadsheet or just a folder on the network.

Anyone care to share what they do? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to go all formal with your runbook and complicate things. Keep it simple.

Here's a sample outline, which you can fill in:

Application

name & overview
Network Diagram
Server name and function

Points of contact

Application
Technical
Business

End Users

Application Support times

Operations Guide

Backup Schedule
Hours of Operation
Maintenance Window

Troubleshooting Support

Alerting
Monitoring

Good luck,

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We encode all that into the hostname (CLUSTERNAME-CLUSTERNUMBER-FUNCTIONAME-GROUPNUMBER-INSTANCENUMBER-LOCATION)

So something like:

ist1-db1-1-qlm

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah, I do: Location - server type (DB,AP,WB) - Instance number . I guess I need something that mirrors up to that explaining a few quick details about the server and who the support person is so I stop getting called whenever theres a question... yawn

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

We are running Lotus Domino in our enviroment and all of our 800 servers is documented in a notes database. We enter all the information we need, IP addresses, passwords, functions etc.

It is pretty simple to create a database in Lotus Notes. I would suggest you use what ever system you have available to create a server database. That could be Sharepoint, Excel Smiley Happy or something else.

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For documentation, I use Veeam's Report software which will automatically create a PDF, DOC, XLS, and Visio documents.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use ops manual/runbook. In it are details as you are asking, based on app. Server, who to contact at what time of day. Basic troubleshooting steps, and order of contact. Basically, as you said, put down what is in your brain, so your brain is not required to be at work anytime an issue occurs. : )

-KjB

heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you know if any of the Run Book companies offer free trial software? Thanks

A excel runbook template would work too. Anyone know where to download one?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to go all formal with your runbook and complicate things. Keep it simple.

Here's a sample outline, which you can fill in:

Application

name & overview
Network Diagram
Server name and function

Points of contact

Application
Technical
Business

End Users

Application Support times

Operations Guide

Backup Schedule
Hours of Operation
Maintenance Window

Troubleshooting Support

Alerting
Monitoring

Good luck,

-KjB

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks man that's a great start. If it saves me 1 latenight phone call it's worth it to me. I'll keep looking for an excel template for another hour (I'm Lazy).

0 Kudos