VMware Cloud Community
foster29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk Resize import question

I used a utility called Virtual disk factory to increase my 60gb image to 200 gb, as a result it created 70 new sparse .vmdk files. Through the Workstation UI if I click on the disk details it tell me the disk is 200gb. When I boot the machine up it reads that the primary C is 60GB and there is 140 GB of unpartitioned space.

My question is if I import this VM into ESX will it create a 200GB monolithic image or a 60GB image?

thanks,

pete

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default it would be a 200 GB image, but you could use the -d thin switch with vmkfstools to import it as a thin disk in which case it would be 60 GB. Downside to do that as you're most likely aware is the performance hit when ESX has to grow the vmdk. If you don't expect to use the extra 140 GB, you can use VMware Converter to resize the disk when you import it to ESX.

Just as an aside, was the VM create with a SCSI disk rather than IDE?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default it would be a 200 GB image, but you could use the -d thin switch with vmkfstools to import it as a thin disk in which case it would be 60 GB. Downside to do that as you're most likely aware is the performance hit when ESX has to grow the vmdk. If you don't expect to use the extra 140 GB, you can use VMware Converter to resize the disk when you import it to ESX.

Just as an aside, was the VM create with a SCSI disk rather than IDE?

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It will import a 200GB monolithic disk. The reason you only see a 60 GB disk in windows is because you have to extend the disk in the OS, it won't dynamically grow that partition just because the underlying disk has been expanded.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
foster29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is SCSI. This image will be used for a large POC so the space will probably be necessary. Its my understading that in this case when ESX imports a 200GB sparse image (60GB of data) it will be imported as a 200gb dense disk, therefore will not grow in size and will not have impact on performance.

is that accurate?

0 Kudos
foster29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But the esx import will extended the disk os to 200gb correct? to add to that if i wanted to expand it manually prior to the import- what steps would i need to perform to get the primary to recognize the unpartioned space?

thanks,

pete

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default it would be imported as a 200 GB file. But if you do vmkfstools -i /source_path/source.vmdk -d thin /destination_path/dest.vmdk then it will be a thin disk.

0 Kudos
foster29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks dave, I went back and realized i misunderstood your original post, it all makes sense now.

thanks,

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Eric has a great set of instructions here:

You will have already expanded the disk on the VMware side so you can skip the beginning of these for now.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos