VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Deployment cycle?

Hi all,

I am trying to get a bit of a feel regarding deployment cycles you use in your business.

Do you deploy VMs first in a test/staging area before moving to production?

Since VMs are isolated I am not sure whether it is valuable. I also like to think if your environments differ

that you cannot call it an acurate test. I.e Production could be in a powerful cluster while test is a standalone box

with only a handful of VMs.

What are the opinions on this?

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
5 Replies
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Def deploy in stages. Get a flawless "golden image" that you can base all your builds off of. Make sure you update your "Golden image" regularly. Also, I would seperate test in dev in different boxes or clusters.

0 Kudos
yorkie
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

G'day Allback :smileyblush:

The answers, as usual, are depends, but here's some examples:

1. Deploy and VMs just like you do physical - configure and power on a "box" (in this case, a virtual one) and have it PXE boot and auto install the OS.

2. Or use templates - but sometimes large enterprise customers have their own automation and config/change/release tools instead.

In either of the above, you probably have a VM for each stage (dev, test, prod - or whatever you call those stages) - but you might checkout Stage Manager which changes the game when it comes to treating VMs like documents and promoting VMs from test to prod.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

We do use VMs in stages. The question was more aimed at the real value of having the test VM on a test host or a production host.

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
yorkie
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, just checking, as there are a myriad of techniques.

I think the answer to this lies within your own organization, as there is no industry "best practice" for this (VMware suggest mixing workloads, as long as your an in compliance...).

If your test VMs access different networks to production (highly likely) then there's not problem mixing them in a cluster that has access to both networks (e.g using VLANs) and using resource pools (test vs prod) to separate and protect resources, but be careful about VC access - this is the biggest danger, letting "test" folks access the same system as "production".

This is why I think the answer lies in your organization - does your current compliance insist on physical separation of test and prod, including administrative duties? These are the kind of compliance issues that dictate your answer.

HTH

Steve

PS. There is immense value in sharing a cluster between dev, test, prod, because you have the great mix of different workloads with protection from DRS plus high availability for dev/test which are more important than folks always think (to the business during a release anywayz!). Be aware of luddites who don't have a strong reason for mixing other than technical/process rigidity. These are the same people who will never have changes in business hours, never do the risk calculation, and stangle the business by insisting on 5 day change windows for a vMotion! Smiley Happy

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

You make some very good points. Yes, we do have seperate VLANs etc

I agree with what you say re. VC access. Not an issue here as we are understaffed and

only a handful of people have access to it , whether it is for production or test

Cheers

0 Kudos