VMware Cloud Community
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Deploying VMs from Templates and KMS Activation. before or after?

I am new to KMS. We just got our Data Center licensing and are looking to start deploying a few 2008 R2 VMs. I've been reading about setting up a KMS server and I was wondering about deploying new VMs from templates either before or after KMS authentication.

so which order should it go?

build VM, convert to template, deploy VM from template, then activate with KMS

or

build VM & activate KMS, conver to template, deploy VM from template? since it has a new SID and all?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do i not need to worry about activating KMS on each deployed VM because it's just a client and it will auto-activate against the KMS host once joined to the domain?

correct.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have KMS host setup in your AD environment, as soon as the newly provisioned templates join the domain, they will be added into the KMS Host server. Use a generic client key in your templates.

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so you suggest to go with the 2nd option?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I recommend the option below

>build VM, convert to template, deploy VM from template, then activate with KMS

There really isn't anything to do on the clients if you have a KMS Host setup. If you don't you will need one.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bbf2eb61-2b30-4f2d-bccd-df53e220b8e9&displa...

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

sorry Troy, maybe i should have cleared myself up a bit. look at it in this situation.

There is already a KMS host/server on the network.

what route do you go for deploying new VMs from templates?

do i not need to worry about activating KMS on each deployed VM because it's just a client and it will auto-activate against the KMS host once joined to the domain?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct.

0 Kudos
upg3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi...I was searching on the above mentioned topic and found this thread..

I wanted to know if I use KMS for the VM activation, whether I can use and activate 4 VM mechines for each of my win2k8 licenses. I have 3 win2008 Ent license and asper Microsoft I can use 4 VM with each Ent license.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

regards,

UPG

0 Kudos
joshuatownsend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need at least 5 Server activations or 25 desktop activations with KMS.  See here for more info: http://vmtoday.com/2012/02/using-kms-for-vmware-view-windows-activation/

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Please visit http://vmtoday.com for News, Views and Virtualization How-To's Follow me on Twitter - @joshuatownsend
0 Kudos