VMware Cloud Community
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Deploying ESX servers using SAN snapclone

Hi Community,

Does anybody know if deploying boot from SAN ESX servers using snapcloning is supported?

It seems a pretty fast way to deploy multiple blades and just wondered if there were any reasons not to do it...

Cheers,

merse

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've tried this, and ran into issues, becaues the servers were exact clones. It was a pain to change hostid, mac addresses, config files, that pointed to the old name. It was taking longer than a simple install did. You're better off creating a kickstart script instead, or even creating from scratch. It will save you time and a migraine later.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've tried this, and ran into issues, becaues the servers were exact clones. It was a pain to change hostid, mac addresses, config files, that pointed to the old name. It was taking longer than a simple install did. You're better off creating a kickstart script instead, or even creating from scratch. It will save you time and a migraine later.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Many thanks KjB!

merse

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'd still like to know if snapcloning is a supported method of building ESX servers...?

I'm developing a scripted install for RDP but the SAN guys are questioning why when they they've built several ESX servers at a different site by snapcloning a master. They've changed the hostname and IP address and seem to be working ok but I'm worried that there is something underlying that could bite later.

What other unique information from the master has been cloned that would need changing?

Any advive appreciated and still more points available...!

Cheers,

merse

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can do it, but it is not supported. And just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. A kickstart install is less of a "fight" anyway.

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for that Dave.

Anybody got a link to an 'official' statement about what the only supported methods are?

Cheers,

merse

0 Kudos