VMware Cloud Community
Kachnik
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R300 ESX support

Hello,

we are planning to go virtual and buy for it a new server. We have a contract with dell a and I like the PowerEdge R300 - but it is not on the compatibility list Smiley Sad

But in minimum server req:

RAID adapters supported are HP Smart Array, Dell PercRAID (Adaptec

RAID and LSI MegaRAID), and IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID controllers.

and i'm able to add theese controllers to server:

LSI2032 SCSI Internal PCIe Controller Card

SAS5/E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External Hard Drives, PCIe

PERC6E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 256MB Cache

2x PERC 6/E SAS RAID Adapter, PCI-Express, 2x4 Connectors, External, 256MB Cache

PERC6E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 512MB Cache

2x PERC 6/E SAS RAID Adapter, PCI-Express, 2x4 Connectors, External, 512MB Cache

2xLSI2032 SCSI Internal PCIe Controller Card

2x SAS 5/E HBA for Power Vault MD3000, PCI Express

If I understand that if I put there:

PERC6E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 256MB Cache

I will be able to install esx server on that machine?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you might be able to install esx onto the server BUT... as stated in our I/O Compatibility Guide for ESX Server 3.5 and ESX Server 3i:

Support for I/O devices listed in this document is specific to device compatibility with the VMware ESX Server versions listed in the corresponding tables. This does not imply a statement of support for adding a device to any certified system. System vendors determine device compatibility with a given system. Please refer to the compatibility list provided by the system vendor before adding a certified device to a certified system.

Kachnik
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

So it is much better to buy more expensive system with less memory (PE 1950III) than risk buying R300 server. Am I right?

0 Kudos
deploylinux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might want to ask your sales manager at Dell to get a clarification whether the R300 is in the process of being certified, and if so, when they expect it. From what I can see, typically there is a 3-6 month period from when Dell releases a new product and when VMware certifies it. Although, the R300 is somewhat low end so Dell just might not interested in certifying it. I'd agree that buying a more high end system that is currently certified and which you can expand as necessary might be a better idea. I'm not a big fan of the 1950's though. We use these for single server apps, like VC or basic infrastructure services (dns, email, etc), not for ESX.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Edited this message, cleared out my private email address

0 Kudos
Kachnik
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that I need that very quickly so I have to take what is available now Smiley Sad Also because it is only testing implementation - I´m have only limited amount of cash. We are planning to move onto esx only some xp stations and win2003 as print server so I really don´t need "ultra server"... So I have will take the 1950... But is for another thread.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos