VMware Cloud Community
telecom
Contributor
Contributor

Dell 2950 for Oracle application virtual servers

We're getting ready to refresh our environment. We are currently running an Oracle 9i database with Dell application servers running Oracle applications. We were going to get 8 PE 1950s with 4 gig of memory for the application replacements. I suggested a Dell 2950 with 32gig of memory and dual quad core 2.66GHz processors and ESX3.0.1.

I'm running into resistance because Oracle has said they won't support their applications on virtual machines, and this is causing push back from the decision makers. Is anyone out there running a similar enviornment? Or does anyone have advice on how to address the Oracle V Vmware question? I think it's in the best interest for our company to start down the VM path for obvious DR and cost reasons, I just need to prove it.

Thanks ahead of time,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

See this post...

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=703431&#703431

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have run the following Oracle Environment for over 5 years as a VM, first on GSX and then on ESX. Oracle Application Suite 11.5.9, database 9.2.0.2 (9i). The O/S is Red Hat Linux.

I have not had any problems with support with Oracle on any issue and I have heard that Oracle and Vmware are working together. I think there are many benefits for running Oracle and any server as a VM. For us it eased the approach for backups, made patch testing easier ( using snapshots ), and also for cloning environments ( ease of copying VMs to make copies of production ).

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have run Oracle on Dells before but currently the host is a HP Proliant DL385 Dual Core 2.2Ghz.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos