VMware Cloud Community
holyman
Contributor
Contributor

Data migration from a physical windows server to ESX 3.5

Hello,

I am planning to deploy VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 and move data from HP XP array to EMC DMX-4.

The existing windows servers are running on physical machines but I want to convert them to virtual machines.

The current data are sitting on HP XP arrays and they need to be migrated to EMC DMX-4 arrays.

I am currently using Symantec storage foundation 5.0 as a volume manager.

It is fairly easy to convert them to VMs by using VM converter but I don't know how to move the data to EMC DMX-4 at the host level.

Can you please help me how to accomplish this data migration?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If your ESX host can access the new EMC SAN you can use converter to migrate the physical servers to ESX and place the VMs on the new SAN -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
holyman
Contributor
Contributor

I know that the vm converter can convert the physical machine to a VM but how about the data sitting on the physical machine?

Since I don't want to use a Raw Device Mapping, I would like to know how the data residing on EMC SAN disks can be moved to virtual disks.

0 Kudos