VMware Cloud Community
B_Lee337
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DRS Automation and P2V

I have read in some documentation that using a DRS cluster as a destination for a P to V migration is not supported unless the DRS is set to Manaual Automation. Can anyone tell me if this is just for the initial migration or can you switch your cluster back to automated after the migration?

I am currently running two ESX 3.5 servers (latest critical updates) in a HR and DRS cluster. I am managing with Virtual Center 2.5. I am using Converter Enterprise as a plug in for VC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well...a VM can't be the source for a P2V Smiley Wink

After the P2V you can reset to Automatic.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well...a VM can't be the source for a P2V Smiley Wink

After the P2V you can reset to Automatic.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
B_Lee337
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Arrhh, sorry about that typo. Thinking one thing and typing another...... Fixed it.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear.

0 Kudos
B_Lee337
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

double post

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Wouldn't that be a V to V? Do you mean using it as a destination for a physical machine? Or are you using converter to migrate a VM from one place to another? I've got fully automated DRS and have seen no limitation in what can be done with Converter. I can go to and from a DRS cluster.

0 Kudos
B_Lee337
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EJWard,

I am using Converter to go from Physical server to an ESX Server

Cluster. The documentation for the Converter tells you that DRS

automation must be set to Manual. I was just curious if it was a

requirement for the clone only and if you could switch it to automated

afterward.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I think its a precaution rather than requirement, it just ensure to prevent automatic DRS from shifting your VM from one host to another while conversion process in running. I wouldn't even know if this is possible while doing conversion, than DRS rules took over but most like its a precaution.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA