VMware Cloud Community
alphadog4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DIY Config For ESX

Looking to build a simple, as-inexpensive-as-possible server from commodity parts to have a system I can run ESX for educational/training purposes. Not looking to buy Dell/HP. I would run maybe 3-5 virtual servers at any given time.

Can anyone suggest a parts list? Are there guides out there for this type of project?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your best bet for personal/educational use is to hit eBay and get a used system that's on the HCL. You can often get a fully compatible system for less than you can build one from commodity parts. Also, if you really want to test the features of VI-3, you will need AT LEAST two systems to run ESX and something to provide shared storage.

The primary "sticking points" are going to be disk controller and network controller - if you can get past those, you're normally in good shape. As for config, CPU performance is not usually the problem (especially for educational use) the more RAM you can add, the better. The next question is how much storage - that's going to depend on the size and number of VMs you want to create, archive, etc. Make sure you get sufficient network cards, too. Best practice configurations need six (or eight, for IP storage) network adapters. This also means you need enough network infrastructure to support that (i.e. eight * two ESX servers + two for your shared storage solution + one for your VC server - unless it's a VM + enough to support all your infrastructure components and clients)

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nappyrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

there are several hardwrae compatability lists in the vmware knowledgebase, kb.vmware.com one thing you definately want to consider is if you ever want to utilize vmotion or anything you need a vmotiion compatable cpu.

0 Kudos
alphadog4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first link is a useful start. Thanks! Motherboards and SATA controllers are obviously a start point. I don't need to see canned Dell and HP systems, though.

I guess what I am looking for is full system advice/expereinces and working examples of what some people here might have built for similar purposes to mine. How much RAM? Which network card(s) did you use?

BTW, the second link returns as "Unauthorized".

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For 3 to 5 VMs you could get by with 2 GB - but 3 to 4 would give you some freedom to add more. A dual core CPU would likewise be fine.

For a number of the systems in the whitebox list, the onboard NIC is supported, but for a couple of whiteboxes I've used that hasn't been the case so I've added an Intel Pro1000 GT which you an pick up for about $30. One NIC is OK for test purposes and you can run service console on it, the VM network, potentially vmotion and iSCSI/NFS over the single NIC.

On one of my older hosts (3 GHz Xeon with 4 GB) I have 8 VMs running. They're pretty light load VMs. I'm currently using a Windows NFS server for shared storage with a couple of SATA drives. Most of my hosts are dual NIC but I use the 2nd NIC for a DMZ subnet.

Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your best bet for personal/educational use is to hit eBay and get a used system that's on the HCL. You can often get a fully compatible system for less than you can build one from commodity parts. Also, if you really want to test the features of VI-3, you will need AT LEAST two systems to run ESX and something to provide shared storage.

The primary "sticking points" are going to be disk controller and network controller - if you can get past those, you're normally in good shape. As for config, CPU performance is not usually the problem (especially for educational use) the more RAM you can add, the better. The next question is how much storage - that's going to depend on the size and number of VMs you want to create, archive, etc. Make sure you get sufficient network cards, too. Best practice configurations need six (or eight, for IP storage) network adapters. This also means you need enough network infrastructure to support that (i.e. eight * two ESX servers + two for your shared storage solution + one for your VC server - unless it's a VM + enough to support all your infrastructure components and clients)

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
alphadog4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't think about EBay. That's a really good idea. It does mean I may have to wait for a good deal, but I can afford that in this case.

0 Kudos