VMware Cloud Community
jswano
Contributor
Contributor

Continuous Acces

Hello,

We wish to set up a solution of service continuity between two sites ?

We have two site, two server ESX 3.0.1, two storage enclosure EMC Clariion CX500 and the MirrorView software. We usually use Mirroview for replication of data. Also we have the same data between the two storage area.

If the first site is no available, how VM can restart automaticaly on second site on the second ESX, with second storage area ?

We have seen Double Take solution but they are a client into the Virtual Machine !

What solution deploy ?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Here's a nice long thread to get you started:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=66862&tstart=150

I've not seen a definitive solution published yet.

skippy33
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had two HP EVA with Continous Access replication. In case of hard crash on the first site, i had to make a failover on continous access, the présentation of the Luns were made by the other bay. A rescan of the scsi on the ESX where enough and i saw back my VMs.

I don't know how work EMC, but i think it can work too.

I think it's the best solution, you just have one réplication, you can use vmdk disks for the VM.

If you want to make réplication on the VM, you can use microsoft dynamic disks, but you have to use Raw disks on VMs.

0 Kudos
jswano
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer but in fact the proccess is not possible to run automaticaly ?

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

In my opinion you shouldn't automate a DR failover.

What I mean to say is.

You should have an automated process in place to complete the switch, but you wouldn't want this happening on its own.

Usually you'd manually kick this off.

0 Kudos
jswano
Contributor
Contributor

It is not to automate a DR failover but to automate a switch between the two site.

It is that you say ?

0 Kudos