VMware Cloud Community
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Consolidating Monitoring software in one guest vm

Hi all,

I being tasked to setup one guest vm to house all of our monitoring software. This includes WhatsUp Gold 14.2, Solarwinds Orion and vShpere Center 4.0.

I have a problem with putting these monitoring software packages into one guest vm for performance reasons as well as admin access to the management consoles. I can see having issues if one admin needs to reboot the vm for their respective consoles and impacting the other admins.

Question: Has anyone tried to consolidate WhatsUp Gold 14.2, Solarwinds Orion Network Performance Monitor 9.5 and vShpere Center 4.0 onto one vm and how is it working out for you?

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure if I would combine the vCenter with the other tools. We currently bundle our other monitoring tools onto servers to keep as much space as we can on our environment. I have the tools you mentioned on the same server and also have openview on the server as well. No performance issues yet, just make sure you check the system requirements for the mentioned tools and make your VM meet that. You should'nt have problems, there may be a ton of network traffic to that one machine though.

Brett Parlier

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I do not think that would be a good idea. vCenter Server alone has some pretty strict requirements and software limitations. In a production environment, I would run vCenter Server in a dedicated VM. While I can understand the need for centralized monitoring, core services (e.g. vCenter Server) should run in dedicated systems and I would not personally consider vCenter Server to be a monitoring tool, but rather more of a management tool.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure if I would combine the vCenter with the other tools. We currently bundle our other monitoring tools onto servers to keep as much space as we can on our environment. I have the tools you mentioned on the same server and also have openview on the server as well. No performance issues yet, just make sure you check the system requirements for the mentioned tools and make your VM meet that. You should'nt have problems, there may be a ton of network traffic to that one machine though.

Brett Parlier
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter Server require several ports, and in the new version require also more resources.

So I agree that it's not a good idea to put several tools on the same VM of vCenter Server.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks guys

I will advocate placing the management software (vCenter 4 and System Endpoint 11MR5) on separate vms. One vm for vCenter and another for Endpoint. I forgot to mention they wanted to add Endpoint management console to this mix.

I will move ahead with combining Orion, Solarwionds Engineers Toolset and WhatsUp Gold on one vm and see what happens.

0 Kudos