VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Commvault Galaxy

Is anyone here using Commvault Galaxy please?

We use it, and are likely moving to a couple of ESX boxes at the beginning of next year.

I'm looking at how to run the CommServe.

Commvault suggest a physical box, I'm quite mindful that in the grand scheme of things we're a very small Galaxy installation (3 mediaagents and < 20 clients) and I'm thinking a VM would probably suffice.

Of course it's impossible to test until I've brought the ESX hardware, and at that point it will be awkward to say "I need another £2.5k for a physical box solely to be a CommServe".

0 Kudos
7 Replies
conyards
Expert
Expert

I've successfuly run media agents and a commserve on a Virtual platform, the commserve was supporting a platform of 16 Media Agents and 200+ Clients.

Simon

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're separating our to reduce the traffic into the VM's. I'm also dropping iSCSI HBA cards into ours so we can do LAN free backups without a performance hit.

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks both.

The MediaAgents would each be on physical file servers (so as to be nearest the largest chunk of data), I just can't easily justify a physical box just to be a CommServe if we virtualize most of our app specific boxes.

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That should be fine, I can't see any issues with the admin server being in a virtual environment.

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Could you virtualize some existing servers and then use the machine you just freed up?

Respectfully,

Matthew

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I virtualized our Commserver which serves 9 Media Agents, and nearly 400 servers. It did need to have SMP with 2 CPU's to keep up with new jobs being started. We kick off about 40 SQL backup jobs at 2 pm each day, and without the second VCPU the new additions would start only 3-4 at a time. We really have had no issues other than that.

hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you virtualize some existing servers and then

use the machine you just freed up?

Respectfully,

Matthew

Arguably yes, but it would be a short term fix as we lease stuff like that so at some point it would go back and we'd have the same dilemma.

From what I'm reading, at our sort of level/scale it sounds like it should be OK.

The current physical box is only a single CPU Xeon 2.4ghz with 1gb of RAM and that also runs our Intranet, Antivirus and a bunch of other stuff.

0 Kudos