VMware Cloud Community
chriskchung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clustering MSL SQL across virtual hosts

I am trying to figure out how to have a SQL 2005 Active-Passive cluster where the nodes would be on seperate hosts. The tricky part I'm trying to figure out is how to handle the private network. The server I plan on using has 2 network cards. Currently, the internet comes into one network interface, and the second interface connects the two hosts for the internal network. Do I need a third interface on both hosts to provide the private network for clustering services?

I would love to use HA, but I dont have shared storage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If these were physical hosts, then ideally you would have a 3rd seperate NIC for the private network. Given that you don't you have a few options

1) Add another virtual NIC to both VMs and then connect those NICs to the virtual switch (vswitch) that is currently connected to your internal network. You could assign a different IP range for your private network. Downside to this is that if your single NIC goes down you've lost your heartbeat network. If desired, you could isolate your private network with a VLAN.

2) Add another physical NIC, create a new vswitch and add the private NICs for the DB servers to this vswitch.

3) Create a new VM port group on the Internet vswitch, add a VLAN to it to secure traffic and then add the private NICs to those vswitches. Not the greatest option from a security pespective, but it's more resilient than option 1 in that a single NIC failure won't take out both the Internal and Private LANs.

Do you have any option to add more that just one new NIC? If I could just add 1 NIC, I would add it to the Internal vswitch and put the private network there. If I could add more, then I would add another to the Internal vswitch for redudancy and then create a new vswitch for the private network (and probably move the SC console port there for security). Are you using database mirroring? If you were planning on failover clustering, how are you handling the shared stored for the nodes in the cluster?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MrBiscuit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I have read your post correctly, you cannot cluster with this configuration as you need shared storage for the Quorum drive. However it's late and I'm low on coffee so I might be misreading.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530.aspx

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If these were physical hosts, then ideally you would have a 3rd seperate NIC for the private network. Given that you don't you have a few options

1) Add another virtual NIC to both VMs and then connect those NICs to the virtual switch (vswitch) that is currently connected to your internal network. You could assign a different IP range for your private network. Downside to this is that if your single NIC goes down you've lost your heartbeat network. If desired, you could isolate your private network with a VLAN.

2) Add another physical NIC, create a new vswitch and add the private NICs for the DB servers to this vswitch.

3) Create a new VM port group on the Internet vswitch, add a VLAN to it to secure traffic and then add the private NICs to those vswitches. Not the greatest option from a security pespective, but it's more resilient than option 1 in that a single NIC failure won't take out both the Internal and Private LANs.

Do you have any option to add more that just one new NIC? If I could just add 1 NIC, I would add it to the Internal vswitch and put the private network there. If I could add more, then I would add another to the Internal vswitch for redudancy and then create a new vswitch for the private network (and probably move the SC console port there for security). Are you using database mirroring? If you were planning on failover clustering, how are you handling the shared stored for the nodes in the cluster?

0 Kudos