VMware Cloud Community
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cluster / Storage

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could answer a planning question i have?

I currently have 2 ESX hosts part of a HA, DRS cluster all zoned into one SAN.

I am looking to add a third host (same model) into the current cluster and zone it into the SAN to provide a bit more redundancy. But the third host will also have an MD1000 attached as well to run a a few test and dev VMs from this.

Will there be any issues with vmotion or this host being a member of the cluster if it also has the MD1000 attached?

Thanks

D

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dcoz you nailed it on the head - I am glad I was clear without my first cup of coffee!

If you found this or other answers helpful do not forget to award points -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the other 2 hosts do not have access to the MD1000 you will NOT be able to vmotion to those hosts - nor will DRS or HA work - VMs on the that are stored on the SAN you will be able to vmotion, DRS and HA - if you do not plan to share the MD1000, I recommen that you make sure the VMs that are stored there that you disable HA and DRS for those VMs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi weinstein5,

Just to double check i have picked you up correctly.

ONLY the vms that are stored on the SAN can use HA / DRS and vmotion with the third host.

The vms stored on the MD1000 storage will obviously not work with vmotion, HA, and DRS as the rest of the hosts in the cluster dont have shared access.

I would be best on a per vm basis stop DRS and HA for the vms on the MD1000?

Thanks for the quick reply.

D

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dcoz you nailed it on the head - I am glad I was clear without my first cup of coffee!

If you found this or other answers helpful do not forget to award points -

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi weinstein5,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the prompt reply.

Thanks

D

0 Kudos