VMware Cloud Community
avocentx
Contributor
Contributor

Citrix PS 4.5 or XenApp 5 - best for VMWare?

We are currently still stuck with Citrix PS 4.0 and as we are to migrate our entire server platform, we are planning to upgrade since PS 4.0 has an EOL by the end of this year.

I would like to hear suggestions and experiences from both the above version from Citrix.

We have a quite small environment today with 4 physical servers hosting around 30 users each during peak office hours.

We are looking to setup a new Citrix farm running on ESX (Infrastructure 3 Enterprise).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Presentation 4.5 would be fine if you are planning on deploying on Windows 2003 32 bit. The real difference is deploying on Windows 2008 with Xenapp 5.0. That is where the new bells and whistles come in to play.

Test applications and drivers carefully if you go the Windows 2008 and Xenapp 5.0 route.

Mike

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Out of curiosity, could you name some of those bells and whistles? I'm looking at taking the step from PS4.5 to XenApp 5 in the near future too.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I've collected 6-7 guides below how to implement Citrix with VMware solutions. Each environments are different and it depends on your server loads, applications and context switch and also knows how to tweak the VMs and make sure to stress test it and also gauranteed your application vendors will support XenApp 5.0/Windows 2008 environment. I'm running PS 4.5 2003 32-bit with ESX 3.5 U3. Things running pretty decent and I know Jason Boche is very strong with his Citrix/VMware farm as well he can give you some insights.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can use this guide its pretty good.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It only limited to 4.9mb attachment so I have to add more to it. Good luck.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos